Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My Little Monkey

I have a really funny story to tell you about my crazy little girl! This picture was taken back in July, but I love it so I posted it since I don't have one that shows about my story!!!

Let me start by telling you that this past weekend my mom and I drove to Stuttgart, AR for the funeral of our dear friend's mother who passed away. Leah if you're reading this, I'm so glad I got to see you, even though the circumstances weren't the best. You guys are still in my thoughts and prayers!!


My wonderful Granny and cousin, Courtney, agreed to watch Grace Saturday while we drove down for the funeral because Gene was working and the boys were with their mother. Thanks Granny and Courtney!! So, we dropped Grace off that morning and headed out. On the way down, of course Grace came up in conversation and we were talking about potty training and the prospect of moving her to a toddler bed sometime in the near future. I had asked Mom once before what she thought about it, and she said as long as she wasn't trying to climb out of her crib then just leave her in it. The thing I'm most apprehensive about is the fact that her room is upstairs and if she woke up and got scared or something and tried to come down to our room. We have a gate at the top of the stairs, but it's broken at the moment and she definitely has not mastered the skill of coming down them on her own yet. I can just see a broken bone, and that scares me!

So, I told Mom that she had not ever tried climbing out of her crib. Not that I had seen anyways. Normally she's just standing at the end close to the door staring and waiting for someone to come get her! Either that or she's sitting there holding Nemo!

Well......that all changed this morning!! She had woken up a couple of times and fussed a little but got quiet again shortly after and I could hear her snoring. The last time she woke up I could tell she was ready to get up, so I went upstairs to get her. Oh my goodness, let me just tell you that I opened that door and she was hanging on the OUTSIDE of her crib! It was so funny though, because she looked like a little monkey holding on! She had one foot sorta resting on her diaper sack and the other was in between two of the slats resting on her mattress. She had a scared look on her face, and I couldn't help but giggle at her!! Who knows how long she had been working on escaping.

I sent Mom a text message telling her and she wasn't really surprised! I told her I guess we'll have to start contemplating converting her crib into the toddler bed a little sooner. There are a few issues we have though, 1) Grace still has to be rocked to sleep, she's not exactly good at going to sleep on her own. I know....it's horrible, but I loved rocking her so much and we were never strong enough to let her cry herself to sleep. 2) I really didn't want to switch her to the toddler bed until she was potty trained, because of getting up to use the bathroom, etc.

So, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm open for any suggestions anyone might have!! I really wish I would have had my camera this morning to snap a picture of her "hanging out" but I didn't so maybe next time I'll catch her in the act again. Even though I really don't want to!!

Anyway, I just wanted to share that with you and I hope everyone is having a good week so far. I'm ready for mine to be over!!

Taylor

4 comments:

Stephie said...

I love that picture! She is soo cute! I would have loved to see her hanging from her crib. It would be very funny but still very scary.

Joyce said...

She may be a little monkey, but she's the cutest darn monkey I ever saw! Love, Nana

cjrussell said...

We had a blast Saturday. Thank you for letting me help. She is such a doll. Her vocabulary is AMAZING!!! She's a smart little monkey. Love, Court.

Leah said...

She's precious!

Thanks for being there! It meant a lot to me. I, too, wish the circumstances would have been better for visiting.

Your "canvas to mail" is on my to-do list for this week!!!

Potty training already?!?!?! It will be me next...goes by way too fast!