Thursday, February 5, 2009

Back in the swing of things

I'm actually at work right now, so I can't put up any pictures but I have some at home I'm going to put on as soon as I get a chance.

We are slowly but surely getting back into the swing of things at home. Our power went out at 7:20 last Tuesday morning and it didn't come back on until 11:00 this past Monday morning. A total of 6 days and about 3 and a half hours without power. It was not fun. Luckily, we do have a fireplace so we had warmth, but we have an electric heat pump system so we didn't have hot water to bathe with. I was taking showers wherever I could! One night I took one up here at work, then Friday Grace and I went to Granny's in Alma where Mom and Dad were and I took a shower there Friday and Saturday and also did a lot of our laundry while there. We were quickly running out of clothes and with no power in sight I didn't know when I would be able to do it at home.

A friend of ours had a generator and after their power came back on (a few days before ours) they let us borrow it. We only hooked the tv and dish up to it though because it wasn't really powerful enough for anything else. All of our food had already been thrown out from the fridge and we were keeping the necessities cold in an ice chest outside. We also have a gas grill that has a burner on the side of it so we were able to cook also. It still wasn't fun though.

Monday morning Grace and I went to Teresa's house to do more laundry because Gene was out of clean uniforms for work and I was due for another shower! I was in the middle of a load when Gene sent me a text that said our power was back on!! I started jumping up and down I was so excited! I threw the wet clothes that had just finished in the washer into a trash bag and sped home to finish drying them and to take a shower in my OWN bathroom! I also started the dishwasher and another load of clothes! I did laundry all day Tuesday and I'm not sure I'd ever been happier to do it.

So, needless to say my diet was all out of whack because I was just eating whatever I could with the circumstances, not only at home but also at work because 95% of Springdale was without power so when I was at work there was no where to go to get food. It was just miserable!

I'm getting back on track now though, and tomorrow I'm going major grocery shopping to stock back up on everything!

The boys and I had dentist appointments today and we all got cleanings and had x-rays done. I found out that during Spring Break I will be having some wisdom teeth removed. Oh what fun! I also have a root canal that needs a cap and a hole in a filling that needs to be fixed. Colt also has 2 cavities and Corey will have to be re-examined when he gets his braces off.

I actually was down for a vacation day today for the appointments, but we were in and out of the office a lot quicker than I thought we would be so I decided to come on into work so I didn't have to use my vacation time. I'm starving right now though, and am fixing to run and get some dinner.

Hope everyone has power back and has had a good week!!

0 comments: