Saturday, August 30, 2008

Hurricane Gustav

Gene and I are sitting in the living room watching Fox News and coverage on the Hurricane Gustav that's due to hit New Orleans within the next 48 hours.

I am so thankful to live in a place where I feel safe and don't have to worry about natural disasters. Except for a few tornado warnings every now and then, Northwest Arkansas rarely has a disastrous one hit.

I couldn't even imagine what it would be like to be told by government officials that you have to leave your home by a certain time and not knowing that when you're told you can return if your house is still going to be standing. I would be heartbroken, especially if it was a place that you had lived your whole life and there's a chance you may lose it all.

Not only that, but I couldn't imagine being in any type of government in Louisiana, whether it be mayor, governor, law enforcement, and on down to dispatch. I take some pretty crazy calls and heart wrenching calls at work, but they're nothing compared to what their dispatch centers receive. That is if they're even still there to answer that ringing phone!

I just know it would be really scary and I thank the Lord for giving me a safe haven. I also pray for the ones having to leave their homes behind to flee to safety. I pray that God keeps them safe and keeps their homes safe and standing.

0 comments: